Henry Fessy - Brouilly2016
0 15643 60031 9
The nose is very expressive with a nice bouquet of red fruits such as wild strawberry and raspberry. In the mouth, the fruit is crispy and shows a beautiful freshness. Good length at the end. Pair with bold cheeses, T-bone steak or ribeye's, barbequed red meats, charcuterie and hors d'oeuvres.
Located in the heart of Brouilly since 1888, Henry Fessy is family company specializing in the production of Beaujolais Crus. The domaine covers almost 70 hectares and includes vineyards in the appellations of Brouilly, Côte de Brouilly, Chénas, Fleurie, Juliénas, Morgon, Moulin-à-Vent, Régnié, Saint Amour, Beaujolais-Villages, Beaujolais and Beaujolais Blanc. The vines are an average of 50 years old and are trained in the traditional manner en Goblet, which are individual low bush vines. The domaine's vineyards are managed with sensitivity towards the environment with intervention only taking place when it is necessary and beneficial. This philosophy allows them to produce characterful wines which express a true sense of place and origin.
Brouilly is the northern most Cru of Beaujolais, it is also one of the most famous and largest. The vines are planted on steep slopes. From a distance, Mont Brouilly looks like a volcano. There is a small chapel at the top built in 1857 to place the vineyard under the protection of the Virgin Mary.
Henry Fessy has remained faithful to the traditional method (no carbonic maceration) which favors the balance between the seductive fruit-forwardness and the supple tannins which guarantee good ageing capability. All harvests are carried out by hand, the grapes are transported in small buckets to the winery, to be sorted. Once in the winery around 20% of the Gamay grapes are put into the fermentation tanks as whole bunches with the remaining 80% destemmed. Fermentation takes place at between 27 and 29 degrees Celsius with one or two pump overs each day. After fermentation the free run juice is drawn off and the grapes are transferred to the press. The first press juices are combined with the free run juice and then placed into cement and steel tanks for approximately a week. The length of the fermentation depends considerably on the vintage. The wines will then age in vats for between 7 and 10 months before being bottled the following spring. The wine is then aged and racked occasionally. It is bottled unfined with a light filtration with a small amount of added sulphur to protect the wine. Henry Fessy wines are also suitable for vegetarians.